Fee Guide

At The Dental Surgery Burnham we offer private dentistry options which are individualised to each patient depending on their needs and agreed treatment plan.


Please call the practice for further information on private dentistry fees.

The services and fees listed below are provided as a guide and may not reflect every service; additional fees are applied based on each cycle. Exact fees are determined when a treatment plan is developed and implemented. All fees are subject to revision and new fees may be implemented prior to the website being updated

Fees correct as of April 2021

Missed Appointments

A fee of £15 per 15 minutes will be charged for appointments that are missed or cancelled with less than 24hrs notice.

NHS Fees
Crowns and Bridges

Crowns and bridges are available on the NHS (Band 3, £282.80). As with all restoration treatments, they may need to be replaced in the future. They can also be provided privately. For example, you may be offered a metal coloured crown on a back tooth to help restore the tooth from a functional perspective. You could discuss with your dentist what alternative cosmetic options can be offered privately and the risks and benefits of these to help you make an informed decision.

White Fillings

Where clinically appropriate, white fillings are available on the NHS and are generally charged as Band 2. For example, if you need a filling in one of your front teeth (incisors and canines) the filling material of choice may be a white filling. If the filling is in on one of your back teeth (such as molars and premolars) then for a large filling the more clinically effective option may be an amalgam filling (a silver coloured material).

Your dentist should explain the options to you in advance. If you prefer to have the white filling or any other cosmetic filling options, your dentist will be able to advise you on the private costs for such treatments and the risks and benefits associated with it.

Not available on the NHS

The NHS will not provide cosmetic treatments such as teeth whitening, which you may want to make your teeth more attractive, but which are not clinically necessary. Even where treatment is clinically necessary the dentist will offer you a treatment option that is clinically appropriate. If you choose to have alternative treatment options then you will have to pay privately for these.

How to claim a refund

If you think you've been charged wrongly or that you've paid too much, talk to your dentist in the first instance. Your dentist will know what work was done and whether it was NHS only or a mix of NHS and private work. The dentist will be able to make the relevant refund if appropriate. For Band 2, Band 3 and any mix of NHS and private treatment, you should have had a dental treatment plan outlining the costs and treatments.

If you paid for NHS treatment but later found out that you were entitled to have it free of charge or to pay a reduced amount, you can claim a refund of the NHS charge. You need to do this within three months of the date that you paid.

Ask your dentist for the NHS receipt form FP64 or a receipt that shows the amount of the NHS charge and the date you paid. If you are claiming on the grounds of low income, complete form HC5 (D): Refund of NHS dental charges (PDF, 231kb). It tells you where to send the completed form.

If you want to claim a refund for another reason, for example, because you are pregnant, have had a baby in the previous 12 months, are aged under 18 or 18 and in full-time education, you will need to explain why you are claiming a refund. Enclose your receipt and make sure you include your full name and the address of your dentist, and write to:

NHS Business Services Authority
Dental Services Division,
Compton Place Road,
East Sussex, BN20 8AD


refunds of charges for private dental treatment or sundry items such as toothbrushes cannot be made. Where a course of treatment is a mixture of NHS and private treatment a refund of the NHS charge only can be made.

Who is Entitled to Free Dental Care

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

  • Aged under 18

  • Under 19 and receiving full-time education

  • Pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months

  • Staying in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist

  • An NHS hospital dental service outpatient (however, you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges).

You do not have to pay if, during the course of treatment, you or your partner, receive:

  • Income Support

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Pension Credit guarantee credit


  • you are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate or you are entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate

  • you are named on a valid HC2 certificate

Partial help

If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge.


You will not be exempt from paying because you receive: Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit savings credit, when paid on their own.

Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment.

You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay.